Thursday, June 07, 2007

Tough luck...

Apologies for not posting over the past 4-5 days. I have some fascinating posts in my mind, but it is just a question of finding time to type them out, since work has been rather busy.

Here's a sob story from work. I painstakingly prepare some cells for a major experiment. Then I harvest them and lyse and suspend them in some sucrose solutions and load them onto an elaborate density gradient that I wanted. At nearly the end of the day, I put them into tubes and start the ultracentrifugation run.

I finish the run, open the centrifuge, and find that the *#&$^$ tube has cracked, and with it I've lost my sample.

There goes two days of work, and all I'm left with is a dirty centrifuge rotor which I have to clean out.

Hardly leaves me with time to blog, does it

6 comments:

CuriousCat said...

Well, as we know from past experience, S$%^ happens. Hope that all things work out with the experiment the next time around! And in case there is truth in statements like "misery likes company" am in the same boat as you this week....

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I hate that. Well you know what they say, science is meesing up 80% of the time.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. Cleaning smelly, bug-ridden rotors are such fun (not !)

Good luck with future experiments !

Anonymous said...

of cousre you know I have NO ida what you arre talking about. but a dirty centrifuge rotor does not sound like fun. and start blogging regularly again (look who's talking and all that but I have no dirty c.r. to blame). have a nice weekend!

Sunil said...

well.....a better day followed the terrible ones, and at least the equipment behaved yesterday. Such is life in science...

Anonymous said...

Once I played Rom, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have Rom Gold. He gave me some Runes of Magic Gold, he said that I could buy Runes of Magic money, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some buy Rom Gold, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap Runes of Magic Gold to anyone who want.