I've heard way too many people say that life in graduate school is dull. PhD students don't have a "life", goes the refrain. Given that I'm now a wise old sage in graduate school, and know a thing or two about the PhD process, I think I can confidently say "Not true".
It's hard to define "life", but I can with confidence say that people still in an University setting have plenty of opportunities to have a fulfilling life. I'll even go out on a limb and say that most (NOT ALL) of my friends who have "settled down" with jobs lead pretty dull lives. And it almost seems as if the longer they have been immersed in their work, the duller their lives get. Their routine revolves around work, work, work, trips to the grocery store, work, a movie or two, work, meeting friends on a weekend, more work. There are the intrepid few who involve themselves with other interests, pursue their hobbies, write beautiful essays/poems/stories, hike in the mountains, or just lead damn interesting lives. But overall, I'd have to say that the grass is certainly brown on the other side.
Grad school can be refreshingly enjoyable. George Cham's probably made himself a small fortune with his brilliantly hilarious Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD). That's mostly because he's been extremely accurate in his portrayal of graduate school life. But here are the top 10 things I get to do in graduate school, and many of these will be missed once I leave (I say top 10, because there's a top 10 for everything, but not this. So this glaring deficiency needs to be corrected). So my top 10 things in grad school (not necessarily in order) are:
1) I hike in the Cascades and the Olympic rainforest. Granted, this is unique to the Pacific northwest, and certainly not to Graduate school :-), but it's still top of my list. It's something students at the UW love to do anyway.
2) I read splendid weblogs every day. Graduate school allows you the freedom to goof off whenever you want to. That way I get to read some of your brilliant blogs. On super high-speed internet to boot!
3) I am always amongst a very tolerant and broad minded set of people (sometimes there are strong opinions though). The sheer diversity of people and opinions on campus is exhilarating. I've had a Japanese roommate, a Chinese roommate, a Czech roommate, watched Iranian films with other friends, and learnt about Africa from others. And these are people in very diverse fields.
4) I can have an intelligent conversation on a variety of topics with just about anyone. Related to point (3).
5) If I take the trouble of leaving the Medical center (where I work) and go up to upper campus (where the "Liberal Arts" departments are) I can attend some brilliantly informative seminars on language, economics, social science, anthropology....
6) I can go for brilliantly informative seminars in my own department and in the Engineering school, and learn more that I otherwise ever could about the latest and best in science and technology. I am also surrounded by Professors who are legends in their chosen areas, and this is an inspirational and humbling feeling.
7) I can take courses in anything I want to. From Sanskrit to Scandinavian studies, Philosophy to Finance, Biochemistry to Badminton, your desire is the limit. The facilities of a large (American) campus are astounding.
8) There are a lot of beautiful people on campus (my wife will kill me for this, but I only speak as a sage here).
9) I learnt about, and got involved in wonderful organizations like Asha and AID while in Grad school. Some of my most fulfilling moments are spent with friends in Asha.
10) I have the freedom to do my own research, and work on the problems of my choice. Science is great.
Now, tell me Grad students don't have a life.
The sage speaketh...!!!! Once a sage, always one...I can vouch for that!
Good analysis! Can't agree more.
first time here...will come back later to read n comment :)
A fellow Grad student!
sure grad students have a life... those who say otherwise are the bratty undergrads! good schools have loads of things you can opt to do - and which are in no way connected to your 'course' - whether you have a life or not depends on what you choose to do with your time...
Your right we do have a great life:) I want to stay a while and enjoy before I have to go to boorsville. Don't forget the camping, eating, and sightseeing. But most of all I will miss my classsmates and friends. It will never be the same once we leave grad school. I am with the sage, grad students have a great life.
sex dvds sex dvds
anal sex toys anal sex toys
penis enlarger pumps penis enlarger pumps
cock rings cock rings
strap on dildos strap on dildos
vibrating bullets vibrating bullets
rabbit vibrators rabbit vibrators
pornstar dildos pornstar dildos
Once I played 12sky, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have twelve sky Gold. He gave me some 12sky gold, he said that I could buy twelvesky Gold, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some 12 sky gold, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell 12Sky Silver Coins to anyone who want.
^^ nice blog!! ^@^
徵信, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 感情挽回, 婚姻挽回, 挽回婚姻, 挽回感情, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 捉姦, 徵信公司, 通姦, 通姦罪, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 捉姦, 監聽, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 外遇問題, 徵信, 捉姦, 女人徵信, 女子徵信, 外遇問題, 女子徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 徵信公司, 徵信網, 外遇蒐證, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 婚姻挽回, 挽回婚姻, 外遇沖開, 抓姦, 女子徵信, 外遇蒐證, 外遇, 通姦, 通姦罪, 贍養費, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信公司, 女人徵信, 外遇
徵信, 徵信網, 徵信社, 徵信網, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信, 女人徵信, 徵信社, 女人徵信社, 外遇, 抓姦, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 女人徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社,
徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 抓姦, 離婚, 外遇,離婚,
徵信, 外遇, 離婚, 徵信社, 徵信, 外遇, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 外遇, 徵信社, 徵信, 外遇, 抓姦, 徵信社, 征信, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 外遇, 抓姦, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社,
I like a game which needs to use priston tale Gold, when you do not have priston tale Money, you must borrow it from friends, or you buy priston tale Gold. If you getcheap priston tale Gold, you can continue this game.
Post a Comment